Friday, May 28, 2010

Gym Psychology

Finally!!! After being sick for a week, I went to the gym. My nose is still running, and I didn't work crazy hard, but I went! And yes, everyone's already told me that it's better to keep working out when you're sick, but I just didn't have the will power.

Ok. What is it with us people and looking at each other at the gym?!
I know what I just wrote might sound strange, but I always wonder about this. For instance, I walk into the weight room at the gym and every eye immediately is on me! Which of course makes me feel that I either need to avert my eyes and stare at the floor as I sheepishly decide what weights to try to pick up, or I need to meet every gaze like a predator ready to attack if you dare tell me my form is wrong!
Yes, there are a lot of guys in there, and yes, they will ogle at any female that sets foot in the building, so that probably answers a large percentage of the "why do people have to look at me" question. But I find it very intriguing that once I make my way through the weight room to the safer area of all things cardio, and get settled using a machine, I start doing the same thing! When someone new walks into the room, I look up, (if I'm not distracted by TLC showing wedding dresses on the TV,) and I LOOK AT THEM! And I watch them avert their eyes the same way I did mine! And I watch them awkwardly walk as coolly as they can to the nearest treadmill! Now I know I'm not checking anyone out. And I also know I don't want to make anyone feel awkward. So what is with the stare thing?

Here's my guesses.

1. It could be that people are generally by themselves when they are at the gym. This might make their self-preservation instincts kick into gear, and they have to watch every move made in the room and be on guard in case they are attacked. I like the thought of this just because I enjoy imagining people morphing into different animals and roaming about the gym looking for food. Which just isn't a normal activity at the gym.

2. It could be we are all reeaaallly bored at the gym. And nothing is better than passing our time looking at each other. I know that I am a little bit in this category because every time I step on a treadmill, I suddenly become aware of every clock in the room. And I can't wait to get off the stinking thing! Keep my heart rate up for at least 30 minutes? Uh, lets try for three. Wow, that guy's running really fast!

My conclusion is.... It's both.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! I agree I think its both.

Ann said...

I think they stare because you are beautiful!!! Just a hunch. Hey are you at the peak? If you are you should come and play squash with me....so fun.

Macks and Knickknacks said...

Actually, I go to Golds, which is nice because of all of their free weights for John to use. I really do miss the pools at the Peak, though!!!

 
Header design by Volo!, Montana Web Design and Consulting