Sunday, September 5, 2010

Birds Everywhere!

I've never thought I was much of a bird person. They're fine animals, I just haven't thought about them much. But recently, they're everywhere! And not just all around our home where they love to perch and sing in our trees. It seems that I am actually attracted to them more lately. Whether it's the black bird necklace that Marissa gave me, or the business card that John designed for me, I seem to be migrating towards liking birds!

Here's the little guy that couldn't fly for some reason, and on a pouring day this summer, our dogs found him hanging out under my vines along the fence. I noticed them batting something around as they often do when they discover insects or other small creatures, and I rushed over to save this little birdie from being mauled to death. I then brought him inside and John (the everlasting animal lover at heart) attempted to feed him worms and bread and dry him off a bit. Then we decided to let nature take it's course and let him loose in the front yard. I try not to think of Harry and the Henderson's every time we let an animal "back into the wild." It only makes me want to build pens and coops and start a mini zoo in my back yard.

That's "Momma Robin" in her nest that was built up in our eaves on the west side of our house. I've always been intensely interested when a bird decides to build it's nest anywhere near where I am. This is probably linked with some memory or something, but it just seems special. So I awarded "Momma" the respect of snapping pictures of her from far away, even though she stared me down with an alert eye anytime I walked beneath her.

And here are the eggs! I had to wait patiently for one of these short windows of time when a mother bird goes away from her nest for food. I almost felt like I was doing something wrong as I balanced on the edge of our porch railing, holding onto the roof with one hand, and clutching the camera with the other hand! And the whole time, wondering what the neighbors think or when "Momma" will be back to peck my eyes out!

The Babies!!! Two cuties with tiny wings and bare, red bellies! I have no idea how old these little ones are, but they're adorable!

And here's our dorky pigeon friends. I don't mind them on top of our roof so much, but I think I'm going to put pigeon strips on our eaves so they can't hang out there. Our perpetual cooing alarm clock that goes of at 5 in the morning still hasn't grown on us!

No comments:

 
Header design by Volo!, Montana Web Design and Consulting