Monday, February 25, 2008

Warning! May be Boring!

I just love a good book before bed. I can't help it. It's so relaxing to let my mind explore a beautiful story for the minutes or hours before I drift off to sleep. And reading a really good novel is a lot like looking at an expressive and detailed piece of art. Ever since I was a little girl, I've treasured the times I'd get lost in a book. The afternoons I spent sitting in the outstretched branches of our crab-apple tree, reading an adventure about Redwall or Narnia may have been some of the healthiest roots for my imagination. Even now, I'm amazed that our minds can paint such detailed pictures about what characters look like.

Well, I read the cutest book recently. I got it from a library book sale. (If you like books at all, and you've never done a library book sale, it's something you have to do!) The last one I went to was in Fort Benton. We got to fill big, brown paper bags with books for a dollar a bag. Or maybe it was fifty cents. Of course some of the books I picked were falling apart, but I found some real treasures. Like this one I just finished - Fathers and Children by Ivan Turgenev. It was translated from Russian and printed in 1917. And it was so true to life. It's about a man who's son returns home from years away at college and the challenge that faces him when he realizes that his precious son has grown up. And in the process, grown farther away from him. Through a series of events the boy comes to the same realization as his father. That there is a gulf now between them. I won't tell you how the story plays out, but you can imagine it for yourself after you read the last lines of the book. Warning! This may be boring. Especially if you didn't read the book. But I love it!


"...Can it be that love, sacred, devoted love, is not all-powerful? Oh, no!
However passionate, sinning, and rebellious the heart hidden in the tomb,
the flowers growing over it peep serenely at us with their innocent eyes;
they tell us not of eternal peace alone, of that great peace of 'indifferent' nature;
they tell us too of eternal reconciliation and of life without end."


THE END

3 comments:

Summer said...

Ohhhh sounds so fun! I too am like you and love to read before bed. I find that time flies when my mind is wrapped in another world. If only I could spend my days reading and imagining! I have never been to a library book sale but it sounds like I'm missing out. I'll have to keep my ears and eyes open for one...because after all, a girl can never have too many books!

Amber Joy said...

First on my list of to-do's while I'm home is hit a library book sale. Want to come with? you'll have to help me figure out when they are.
love you

miss mariss said...

I love you so much and can't wait till summer and all the fun stuff to do with summer. Love you lots.

 
Header design by Volo!, Montana Web Design and Consulting